Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Who took my music?

Currently it is 1:55 am. I am still up. Couldn't tell could ya?
I have been diligently working on trying to get my music from my laptop computer to my desktop so that I can burn a CD for Charlie by tomorrow, or today now. Unfortunatly it is not working. Every single thing I try will only work on one computer or the other but never both. This is extremly irritating considering I have the laptop on my lap and I am sitting at the desk with the other computer on it. I just need for my music to move about 14 inches. It just won't do it.

Now you're probably wondering why I need it moved. Why didn't I just put it on the desktop in the first place right? Well, I'll tell ya. My laptop has a good soundcard thing in it. My desktop does not. If I were to download music to the desktop I wouldn't be able to preview it to see if it came out ok before burning it. So I got the bright idea that I would just set up a simple home network. I've worked in offices where they have their computers networked. I only want to connect the two of them how hard can that be right? Wrong! It would have been easier to launch the last space shuttle than it would be to network these computers. I even tried to use the wizard. Yeah, well the wizard must have graduated magna cum laude from MIT. Right from the git go I knew I was in trouble when it gave me 3 options.
1. Is your computer connected to the internet through another computer or directly?
OR
2. Is your computer connected to the internet directly or through another computer?
OR
3. other
Ok. Well let's see. My computer is technically connected directly to the internet through a little box that is directly connected to another computer. It's wireless. I have no idea how it's really connected.
So I tried option 1. It starts to do it's thing and I think great! It's going to work. All of a sudden it stops right in the middle and rudely informs me that after checking my hardware configuratios I have chosen the wrong option and I either had to go back or cancel. Hm. Bummer.
Ok. So, I go back and figure I still have 2 more options so I go with #2. Again with the same annoying little pop-up informing me of my utter stupidity. Ok. Back to the drawing board. Only 1 more left and three's a charm as they say.
Click here, next there, ok on that one and we are off and running.
It's going.
It's going.
And miracle of miracles it doesn't yell at me in the middle.
Ah, but wait.
Here it is. Another multiple choice question. Aparantly I have to make a CD of this unless I already have a CD in which case I can use that other CD or not if I have XP.
Ok. I have XP, I guess that's my choice. bing bang boom. and half an hour later and what do I have?
NOTHING!! I am still in the same mess I was in before.
So, now what? Oh yeah, Yahoo had this neat Briefcase thing where I could send files and folders to their server and they would lovingly take care of them with all of their new fandangled technology that doesn't crash on a semi-regular basis. So, I upload it there. Go to the other computer to download it to that one. Oh thank goodness for High-speed internet! And proceed to try to burn a CD. Another trick I haven't tried with this newer-ish computer of mine.

There's no program to burn a CD with. Humph!
Well what about the media player. Didn't it say something about transfering stuff to a CD or MP3 player? That's what I want to do.
Well my friends, that's where I am now. Patiently waiting for the Media player to find my music for me. I don't blame it for taking so long, it's not unusual for me to misplace stuff. Kind of my M.O. ya know? I wish I could help it out but it took me 30 minutes this morning to find my toothbrush (someone put it away upside down).
I really have no idea where I might have put the music. It could be anywhere and nowhere. Watch I will patiently wait for it to sort through my whatever-giga-bytes of storage and it will find that it is not there.
That is the story of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from all my readers! Please feel free to leave comments, suggestions (preferably nice ones!) or anything else. Please no advertisements! I know all us SAHM have or have had a home business and would love to get new customers. I will post a link to an awesome website where you can post such ads.
Thanks!

<3 kimberly <3